New London Cleaning Experts
SERVPRO professionals are ready to help 24/7!
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning - 800-734-3213
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the specialists at SERVPRO of New London!
Flooded Basement Cleanup: Steps and Tips
All the water in this basement was removed by SERVPRO in less than three hours!
Basement flooding is a nightmare for any homeowner. Water in your basement can damage carpets, couches, family heirlooms, appliances and more, leaving anyone overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. But don’t worry - we’ll cover everything you need to know about your flooded basement cleanup here!
What To Do When Your Basement Floods
- Don’t enter a flooded basement or crawlspace. You should put safety first and make sure that it is okay to enter. If there is standing water throughout the basement, you should turn off the electricity and gas. If your circuit breaker is in the basement or you’re not sure how to turn it off, call an electrician.
- Find protective gear to wear if you enter your basement. Find rain boots or gloves if you’ll be touching anything. This is important because depending on the source, flood water can be dirty or contaminated, making you sick. If the water is high enough, you may also want to consider wearing chest waders. But if your basement has this much water in it, we wouldn’t recommend handling the cleanup or entering yourself. Rather, call a professional flooded basement cleanup company like SERVPRO of New London who have the resources and knowledge to handle the situation safely.
- Find the source of flooding. Once you find the source of the water, you’ll have a better idea on what to do next. If the flooding is due to heavy rains, wait until the storm passes and water stops entering your home. If the water is from a source like a burst pipe, sewer backup, broken water heater or furnace, or any other faulty appliance, turn off your water immediately to prevent further flooding.
- Have a sump pump or basement floor drain? Try and check them out. Both of these things can help drain standing water in your basement if they’re working. If they’re not, they may be contributing to your flooding problem. Double check if they’re clogged or broken and do your best to get them to work.
- Start the water removal process. For puddles or flooding in a small area of your basement, you can use a wet dry vacuum, towels, or even a mop and bucket. If the entire basement is flooding with more than a few inches of standing water, you should call a professional flood removal company instead. SERVPRO of New London specializes in flood extraction and removal. Our advanced equipment can rapidly extract all water from your basement - and time is an important factor in preventing mold and mildew growth during flooding.
- Begin drying EVERYTHING out as best as you can. Remove all wet and water damaged items so that they can dry out faster. Set up fans and dehumidifiers in your basement to dry out and remove as much moisture as possible. If there was a lot of standing water, especially for an extended amount of time, your household fans and dehumidifiers may not work. If you need help drying out a flooded basement, SERVPRO of New London can help. We use moisture meters to detect and measure moisture and use advanced drying equipment to ensure no moisture is left behind.
- Clean and sanitize everything. Wipe down basement walls and floors. The flood water may leave behind dirt, gunk, or worse depending on the source. This step will also help prevent any unwanted odors, mold, or mildew.
- Take steps to prevent future basement flooding. You don’t want to end up with inches of standing water in your basement again! But if your basement is naturally prone to being wet or minor flooding, you should take steps to raise all appliances on to blocks so that they are not affected by water.
What Causes Basement Flooding?
There’s many different reasons for flooded or wet basements, but here’s a few:
- Insufficient drainage around basement walls
- Heavy rains
- Failing sump pump
- Clogged or backed-up floor drains
- Groundwater coming through cracks in the foundation
- Burst pipes
- Appliances with broken water lines
There are solutions to many of these problems, such as fixing broken pipes or appliances, changing where water runs off from your home, or waterproofing your basement.
Should I Call A Professional To Help With Flooded Basement Cleanup?
A professional flooded basement cleanup company may not always be needed to remove water and dry out a basement. But, if the entire basement is flooded with a few inches of water, we would strongly recommend calling in professionals. SERVPRO of New London specializes in water damage restoration, and we have all the knowledge and resources needed to rapidly extract water, dry, and sanitize your basement.
A fast response and work time is extremely important when it comes to flooding and water damage, as mold and mildew can grow and spread around a home in as little as 48 hours after flooding. Calling professionals will help prevent mold growth, unwanted odors, and structural decay down the line!
SERVPRO of New London provides all customers:
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of New London Today! 800-734-3213
Burst Pipe Cleanup Guide For New London Homeowners
2 pipes burst in this attic, causing water to flood all the way to the basement. Ceilings, floors, and carpets were affected.
Coming home to a burst pipe is a disaster that no homeowner wants to deal with. How do you remove standing water? How do you dry up wet areas? Will the damages be covered by insurance? What should you do first? We can answer all your questions here.
What To Do When You Have a Pipe Burst:
- Turn off the main water supply. It may seem obvious, but this will prevent your home from sustaining any more damage. If there’s electrical appliances near standing water, also shut off your power. Safety first!
- Call your plumber. You’ll need to fix the broken pipe.
- Move any wet furniture, carpets, and other belongings. You don’t want them to sit in standing water. If needed, SERVPRO of New London provides contents restoration to dirty or water damaged belongings.
- Start to remove standing water as fast as possible. Grab towels, mops, or buckets to try and absorb water. If there’s a significant amount of standing water, you may need to consider buying a wet-dry shop vac to extract all water, or even call a professional water damage company to remove water for you.
- Begin to dry out the damaged areas. Bring fans in the rooms affected and turn them on high. Set up dehumidifiers in the dampest areas to remove as much moisture as possible. If there was a considerable amount of water or it was wet for an extended amount of time, household fans and dehumidifiers may not be able to completely dry out the room.
- If water has absorbed into the subfloor, drywall, carpets, it may be best to contact a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of New London. Restoration companies use professional grade drying equipment and use moisture meters to detect moisture in areas that may seem dry at first glance. These tools ensure that your home has been properly and completely dried to prevent mold growth and structural deterioration.
- If needed, restore and rebuild the water damaged area. You may need to install new floors, fix drywall, repaint, or sanitize affected areas.
Why Is It Important To Properly Dry Water Damaged Areas?
If you don’t correctly mitigate water damage, multiple problems may result. Check out our water damage timeline for more detailed information.
- Paint can bubble and blister.
- Wood flooring can swell, warp, or come up.
- Mold and mildew can grow and spread around your home in as little as 48 hours if moisture is not addressed.
- If water damage is left unmitigated and stays wet, it can cause serious structural safety issues in your home as well as drive up restoration and reconstruction costs.
Will Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Burst Pipes?
Luckily, burst pipes are usually covered by insurance as they’re a sudden and unforeseen loss!
You will have to show the damage in your home came from the burst pipe and that you weren’t responsible for the pipe bursting in the first place.
You may be thinking, “But, how could I be responsible for a burst pipe in my home?” If you neglected to repair clearly old or corroded pipes or did not turn heat on during the winter which froze the pipe and caused it to burst, you may be seen as responsible for the burst pipe. This is because there were steps that could have been taken to prevent the pipe from bursting.
If you’re unsure about your insurance coverage, SERVPRO of New London can help guide you through the insurance process. One of our first responders can come onsite, inspect damages, review your policy, and tell you whether or not it should be covered and the best way to file your claim to ensure it is not denied.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of New London 800-734-3213
We are highly trained water removal and cleanup specialists and are ready to service your New London area home when flooding or water leaks cause water damage.
SERVPRO of New London provides:
Don’t Wait For Water Damage To Get Worse. Call 800-734-3213 to speak with our on-call technicians now!
Commercial Floor Cleaning in New London
Satisfying! The floor in this before and after is almost unrecognizable.
Let's be real. Offices and businesses don't have time to deep clean every inch of their buildings all the time. And sometimes that means that dirt, grime, and dust can build up under cabinets or rugs, in air vents, ceiling beams, and ceiling tiles. When you need a cleaning that goes further than the abilities of your regular janitorial staff or cleaners, SERVPRO of New London can help.
Our Residential and Commercial Cleaning Services Include:
- Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
- Drapes and Blinds
- Air Duct & HVAC Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Sewage & Biohazard Cleanup
- Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Vandalism Cleanup
A local business called us in to clean the grime off of laminate floors in a large room, which was also covered in a film of aerosol spray from a contractor. To be able to clean the dirt from the floor, we first had to get through the residue covering the entire floor! But, as you can see in the photo, our crews had no trouble completely cleaning the floor of all residues beyond the owner's expectations. They'll be sure to call us again for any commercial cleaning needs!
We have the expertise and resources to make any dirt, dust, graffiti or grime "Like it never even happened." Call for a free estimate today!
What Are The Causes of Water Damage?
Take these tips to lessen the chance of water damage in your home.
What are the causes of water damage?
Water damage comes in many shapes and sizes; some that are easy to identify and others that are not. Knowing the common causes of water damage can help prevent damage to your home. The earlier you can identify water damage, the less work will have to be done by a water damage restoration company to restore your home.
Causes of Water Damage Include:
Leaking or Burst Pipes
Leaking or burst pipes are common causes of water damage. These issues can come from changes in water pressure, temperature changes, or the deterioration of old pipes. In the winter, uninsulated pipes can also freeze and burst.
These kind of water damage issues can be hard to detect until there is clear water damage on your walls or ceilings since pipes and hoses are usually hidden within walls. Keep an eye out on your water bill and periodically check for leaks under sinks, toilets, and around showers to find possible plumbing issues that can cause water damage.
Old or Worn Household Appliances
Did you know the average washing machine supply hose fails after just 8.7 years, and 75% of water heaters fail within 12 years? The hoses on these appliances should be changed when you can see any sort of wear to prevent them cracking and leaking everywhere in your home. Look out for all of your other appliances which have water hookups as well, like refrigerators with ice makers.
HVAC units are also a common cause of water damage. When not maintained, moisture can build up creating not only water damage, but space for mold and mildew to grow and spread around your home.
Clogs in drain lines or heavy rains can cause sewage to backup into your home through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. This type of water damage should absolutely be handled by water damage specialists to correctly decontaminate, sanitize, and restore rooms affected by sewage water.
Now that you know several major causes of water damage in home and businesses, you can prevent unmitigated damages to your home. But, if disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of New London with any water damage issues.
We’re open 24/7 and waiting for your call. 800-734-3213
Fire Damage Restoration Process in New London
Call SERVPRO of New London with any fire damage restoration needs.
A fire event can be devastating for a home or business. Even after the flames are out, you may be overwhelmed by the damages. The fire may have compromised the structure of your building, soot and smoke damage can cover your walls and furniture, and you may even face water damage from the fire-fighting efforts.
So, where do you start once the flames are out? Well, the answer isn't always straightforward as every fire damage event is a little different and requires a unique solution. But, the general process remains the same. The steps below outline our process for the 'typical' fire damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us respond immediately with the appropriate equipment and resources.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
We use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We’re also trained to remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Call SERVPRO of New London to restore your property back to pre-fire condition. We're open 24/7, 365 days a year to respond to your call.
SERVPRO of New London's First Annual Coat Drive
In all, we were able to donate 13 boxes of coats to local shelters!
This year, SERVPRO of New London started its first annual coat drive for homeless shelters in our area!
On our very first year, we exceeded our monetary goal of $500 and we were able to collect over 80 coats. All together, using the monetary donations and the physical donations, we were able to donate 120 coats to local shelters in the Meriden and New Haven, Connecticut area! Donations ranged from children's coats to both men and women's jackets.
The contributions we received this year were absolutely amazing. Thank you to all of our generous donors for contributing to our first annual coat drive!'
If you missed out on donating - no worries! We will be sure to get the word out for our second annual coat drive next year. And remember - you can always call your local shelters to see if they will take your own personal donations!
Preparing Your New London Business for Winter Storm Damage
Use some of our tips to ensure your business quickly re-opens after any winter storm damage!
When winter weather hits, it can lead to property damage, employee injury, and possible business closures. Preparing your business before the storm is the best way to protect your property and minimize any storm damages.
If you take these steps, your business will be able to more quickly recover from a storm damage loss.
Steps To Take Before A Winter Storm:
- Establish shelter locations on your property. If a winter storm suddenly hits, you need a space with enough room for all employees and any customers that may be in your business.
- Stock shelter with emergency supplies. Flashlights, batteries, fire aid, food, blankets - you know the drill!
- Determine any essential equipment or processes that rely on electrical power. Organize an emergency power source for these items.
- Determine a back-up heating source if power goes out. Use heating sources in well-ventilated rooms to avoid carbon monoxide buildup.
- Install smoke and CO2 detectors. Test them monthly and replace batteries twice a year.
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment and assets for your business in case of a loss. Insurance will need this information!
If you find yourself facing storm or water damage after a winter storm, call SERVPRO of New London!
We are open 24/7, 365 days a year. We work with your insurance (so you don't have to!) and provide all customers with free estimates.
Call Today! 800-734-3213
Winter Storm Readiness in New London
Stay safe and prepared in New London this winter from storm damage.
Winter storms can cause just as much damage to your home as a summer storm. Snow storms can bring freezing temperatures, feet of snow and ice, and high winds. Power can go out and roads may become hazardous. Preparing for a storm is the best way to keep your family and home safe!
Winter Storm Preparations
- Weatherproof / Winterize your home.
- Add extra insulation in your attic, insulate doors & windows, and insulate any water lines along exterior walls so they are less likely to freeze.
- This also helps prevent ice dams!
- Keep as much heat as possible in your home during a storm.
- Avoid unnecessary opening of doors or windows, close off unneeded rooms, and close curtains on windows at night.
- You don't want your pipes to freeze and burst!
- Organize a back-up heating source if the power goes out.
- Gas or log fireplaces, portable heaters.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries handy. You never know when the power may go out - and flashlights are safer than candles!
- Leave all water taps slightly on so they drip continuously.
- This helps prevent frozen pipes or burst pipes.
Call SERVPRO of New London if your home sustains any storm damage this winter. We are available 24/7 for emergency services, and work with your insurance company!
What Is A Puff Back? How Can It Damage Your Home?
Puff backs can make soot come through your vents and into your New London home.
A puff back is a misfire in your furnace.
The issue is that a puff back can send soot throughout your home through your vents. If you wake up one morning and find soot coming out of your vents and covering your curtains, walls, and furniture – it’s likely that you’re experiencing the consequences of a furnace puff back.
Puff backs can also occur over time without you immediately noticing.
Every time your furnace ignites and misfires, it can send a small amount of soot through your vents which may slowly accumulate in your vents and around your home.
Puff backs can damage your home because:
1) The furnace is misfiring, and needs to be serviced
2) Your home may become covered in soot – and you are breathing it in as well!
If you experience a puff back this winter, call SERVPRO of New London to clean your home of all soot.
We are open 24/7 for emergency service!