What is Necessary to Deal with Sewage Backup after Flood Damage in New England Business Premises?
Flooding on your premises needs to be dealt with right away to prevent further damage. Contact SERVPRO for effective water removal services.
SERVPRO Helps Carry Out Challenging Tasks Including Sewage Cleanup after Flooding
Flooding can cause significant soiling or contamination in your business premises, especially when there is a sewage backup. In such cases, cleaning must eliminate all trace contaminants from surfaces, contents, or any other materials to fully restore flood damage.
The restoration challenge is more significant if the flood damage in your New London property involves sewage. In addition to the difficulties of removing waste materials, there is also a risk of exposure to hazardous materials. SERVPRO professionals are equipped with the necessary PPE like boots, rubber gloves, bodysuits, and respirators fitted with P100/organic vapor cartridges.
Professional flood restoration helps eliminate the need for separate:
- Biohazard remediation
- Cleaning company
- Disinfecting companies
Before starting the cleanup process, SERVPRO sends crew chiefs to the loss site to inspect the extent of the loss. In most cases, sewage backups affect bathroom areas where it might be simpler to do cleanups since floors and walls are tiled. However, if the floodwater spreads to other sections, different materials might complicate an already challenging task.
Various resources that help clean a flooded property include:
- Plastic shovels for removing solid waste
- Pressure washers to agitate soiled areas
- Antimicrobials and other chemical agents to remove contaminants
Our SERVPRO technicians prioritize the removal of solid wastes. We tear down any porous materials affected by the sewage since decontamination cannot restore sanitary conditions. After finishing cleaning, we also deodorize to eliminate any bad smells.
SERVPRO of New London can help restore any issues in your property after flood damage. Call us at (860) 443-2222. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
How Does Professional Assistance Change Fire Damage Restoration For West Mystic Homeowners?
Was your home affected by a recent fire? Team SERVPRO technicians are standing by 24/7 for your emergency call to remediate the fire damage.
SERVPRO Has the Expertise to Handle Any Challenging Tasks during Fire Damage Restoration
Fire can start from any section of the house, including bedrooms and bathrooms. One common cause of fires in unlikely areas is electrical malfunctions when cables short-circuit or appliances are used incorrectly. Restoring the damage left in your West Mystic home can be more challenging than you expect.
Several aspects can complicate fire damage restoration in your West Mystic home after an electrical problem. For instance, there is a need to strip off and replace all the electrical systems in the affected sections of the structure. Cleaning surfaces to remove soot and other residues may also prove challenging because of plastics, and other synthetic materials, burnt when a fire affects appliances. SERVPRO technicians are well prepared to handle these issues.
Specialized skills are necessary when addressing:
- Fire and smoke damage
- Smoke remediation
- Water & fire damage restorations
- House fire clean up
SERVPRO professionals strip off wall and ceiling panels to facilitate the removal of cables and other electrical systems. Our technicians are well versed with controlled demolition tasks, so they use approaches that help save any salvageable materials.
In case the damage is localized, there might be no need for demolition. However, restoration of surfaces caked with soot residues is vital. SERVPRO professionals are well versed with the principles of cleaning, thus easing the removal of embedded residues, "Like it never even happened." The main processes include the location of residues, identification of residues and the type of surface affected, capture and removal as well as proper disposal of such residues.
The experience SERVPRO of New London has can simplify fire damage restoration at your property. Call us at (860) 443-2222. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
How to Manage Water Removal If a Faulty Appliance Damages Your New London Home
Water removal is necessary in many types of situations. Should your home be affected, contact our experienced team for water removal services.
SERVPRO Water Removal Services Can be Useful for All Levels of Water Damage
Various issues, including faulty appliances, can lead to water leaks in your New London home. For instance, ice makers can leak if your fridge is not level, has an ice jam, or the condensation drain is clogged, among other things.
Although an appliance leak may seem minor, elaborate water removal in your New London home may be necessary depending on where the water ends up. For instance, if there is a carpeted floor near the appliance or if the leaked water flows into wall or floor cavities, the removal can be challenging. Our SERVPRO technicians look for ways to address all the challenging aspects of the water leak.
Appliance leaks can be as challenging to resolve as other significant intrusions like:
- Emergency services water damage
- Burst pipes
- Ceiling leaks
Completing the water removal may require various processes. For carpeted surfaces or other porous materials that readily absorb water, drying can take a long time to complete. One way our SERVPRO IICRC-certified technicians overcome this is by removing the carpet or pad for drying. Once the porous materials are stripped away, it is easier to dry the bare surfaces by boosting evaporation rates or dehumidification. Our SERVPRO technicians make calculations to determine the best number of air movers and dehumidifiers to use.
In the case of water reaching wall cavities, unique approaches such as drilling vent holes at the wall base and using a cavity drying system to force warm, dry air into the void help quicken drying. Our technicians remove the baseboard before drilling and replace it after drying, ensuring a uniform finish.
SERVPRO of New London manages any water removal process professional. Call us at (860) 443-2222. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Should Your Business Hire Remediation Professionals for New London Mold Damage?
New London commercial structures rely on SERVPRO for mod remediation
SERVPRO uses the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) protocols for New London commercial mold damage
Why Will Commercial Housekeeping or Cleaning Crews Fall Short on Mold Remediation?
Assigning mold damage in New London business properties as a routine job for your usual cleaning crew can result in poor outcomes. A better choice is to consult with SERVPRO for mold inspection, remediations, and removal.
Although your contracted cleaning service takes great pride in maintaining your New London commercial premises, ironically, the steps it takes to eradicate mold can worsen the situation because:
- Bleach or other cleaners rarely penetrate deeply enough to kill the embedded mold hyphae (root-like parts of a mold organism).
- Cleaning products contain significant quantities of water, encouraging spore growth.
- Eliminating moisture sources must be part of an effective mold remediation plan, typically not a cleaning crew specialty.
Why Is Hiring SERVPRO Mold Specialists a Good Investment for New London Business Owners?
SERVPRO adheres to the research-based EPA procedures for mold remediation in schools and commercial buildings. The following steps are critical:
- Locating the mold
- Containing the affected area with physical barriers and technology like negative pressure air scrubbers to prevent drift of debris and spores
- Mechanical removal of mold and moldy materials with scrapers and brushes
- Controlled blasting of porous surfaces with soda or dry ice to remove and incapacitate embedded mold organisms
- Clean up of mold debris with HEPA-filtered vacuums and damp wiping
- Lawful disposal of double-bagged moldy materials as hazardous waste
- Treatment of cleaned surfaces with EPA-registered antimicrobials to inhibit mold rebound
- Elimination of the moisture causing mold growth
Training in EPA protocols and extensive experience with water and moisture damage issues make SERVPRO of New London uniquely qualified to respond as mold specialists. A single call to (860) 443-2222 sets your business up for effective mold remediation.
What Are the Basics of Professional Fire Damage Restoration in West Mystic?
SERVPRO has skilled IICRC certified fire and smoke damage restoration technicians to make a West Mystic home look, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO uses research-based best practices for your West Mystic house fire clean up
When fire damages your West Mystic home, residues from the heat, smoke, and soot pose challenges. Homeowners who try fire and smoke damage restoration and cleanup without professional help can expose their loved ones to toxins created by the fire while failing to halt the progressive deterioration of structures.
SERVPRO meets or exceeds the standards developed by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). The SERVPRO team comprehensively considers your West Mystic home’s crisis and devises scientifically proven interventions to make it “Like it never even happened.” To ensure fidelity to the standards, we use the principles and elements of fire damage:
Principles of Fire Damage Cleanup
- Locate smoke residues with a thorough inspection of the affected area.
- Identify the characteristics of the smoke damage residues found.
- Determine the types of surfaces coated with the residues.
- Loosen, capture, and remove residues.
- Dispose of residues following local regulations for hazardous waste.
Elements of Fire Damage Cleanup
- Temperature -- technicians adjust temperatures to increase cleaning efficiency considering the product used and the durability of the soiled surface.
- Agitation -- technicians use various tools including towels, scrapers, brushes, water or air pressure, and ultrasonic vibration to loosen the residues and distribute cleaning products.
- Chemical action -- technicians match the cleaning product chemicals to specific residues, breaking the bond between residues and surfaces through dissolving, emulsifying, bleaching, oxidizing, changing pH, or digesting.
- Time -- technicians calculate appropriate product dwell time for safe and effective professional cleaning and deodorization.
Have confidence in the SERVPRO of New London team when seeking cleaning of fire and smoke damage. Call (860) 443-2222 for a prompt assessment and emergency services.
Should You Put Off New London Water Damage Remediation?
If a burst pipe causes a ceiling leak in your New London home--call SERVPRO for cleanup and restoration
SERVPRO crews are available 24/7 to meet New London residents’ water clean up needs
A burst pipe or ceiling leaks are unexpected and unwanted surprises for homeowners, who then scramble for New London emergency services. Water damages structural components and contents rapidly and progressively. Delay in obtaining water removal services turns a manageable inconvenience into a disaster.
When the SERVPRO team arrives at your New London home, prepare for professional, organized water damage intervention. An experienced project manager assesses and immediately institutes controls for safety hazards, including:
- Slip, trip, and fall potential -- minimized by signage and fast water mitigation
- Risk of structural collapse from trapped water behind walls or above ceilings -- addressed with temporary supports and targeted demolition techniques:
- Ceiling weep holes
- Baseboard level drainage holes
- Flood cuts
- Exposure to hazardous waste in contaminated fluids -- avoided by containment of affected areas and collection of dirty water for lawful disposal
What Emergency Services Does SERVPRO Provide?
After the safety assessment and institution of controls, Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)-trained SERVPRO workers remove the standing water and prepare for structural drying.
Water clean up uses:
- Submersible pumps for water deeper than two inches
- Truck-mounted extractors -- high-capacity, available even when the power is out
- Portable backpack extractors for smaller and confined areas
Effective structural drying requires:
- Moisture detection and metering, using specialized tools
- Drying plans dependent upon site-specific data:
- Setting differentiated drying goals for various wet materials
- Balancing airflow, temperature, and relative humidity employing:
- Air movers
Have confidence in the well-equipped and trained experts from SERVPRO of New London. Contact us at (860) 443-2222 -- We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster.
18 Things to Do Around Your Home Before Winter
You'll thank yourself if you complete these fall chores before winter hits.
What chores should you be doing around your home before the cold weather of winter hits? To make it simple, we’ve put together a list so you can completely prepare your home for the winter.
Pre-Winter Chores To Do This Fall
- Clean your heating source. Whether this is a gas stove, fire place, or your furnace - call your serviceman for their yearly inspection and cleaning. This will help prevent any furnace puffback, chimney fires, and keep your home safe and warm all winter.
- Clean up your garden. If you have any perennial plants, now is the time to cut them back for next year. Prune your plants and any weeds. Then, put down your mulch for the winter.
- Get the spring garden ready. If you like to plant perennials or tend to a vegetable garden, get going before the ground is too cold.
- Put away lawn furniture. When it’s clear you won’t be spending much time outside anymore, bring the lawn furniture into your garage or shed so it stays nice and preserved for next year.
- Setup or repair fences. You don’t want to wait until the ground is frozen solid to install or repair a fence.
- Put up stakes. If you have your driveway plowed, put up stakes at the entrance of the driveway and anywhere a plow may hit when it’s covered in snow. Most people don’t like when the plow demolishes their mailbox.
- Test outdoor lighting. Check if any bulbs are out and replace them.
- Clean out gutters. Make sure there’s no debris, leaves or branches blocking a clear flow of water.
- Seal windows and doors. Use weather-stripping tape to help prevent cold drafts and save on heating costs.
- Winterize your hose. Once you’re done with the hose, be sure to completely drain it, detach it from the source pipe, and shut off the valve from inside the home to prevent any freeing or bursting.
- Gather your firewood. You’ll want to have all your firewood stacked and ready before it’s cold out.
- Double check your generator. If a blizzard comes through and knocks out power - you want to be prepared. Make sure that it is working properly and that you have fuel safely stored away.
- Switch out for your winter tools. Rather than having the lawn mower at the front of your shed or garage, move snow shovels, sand, salt, or your snow blower to the front so you’re ready for the first snow.
- Get the car ready. Dig out your snow brush and extra shovel to keep in the car.
- Prep your front entryway or mudroom. You’ll want wet, muddy boots to have a place when winter weather comes around, along for a space for puffy winter jackets.
- Put down rugs and hang drapes. This can make your home feel cozier during the winter and will help keep heat inside your living space.
- Clean the oven. If you haven’t cleaned your oven in a while, it will likely smoke and stink when you turn it to self clean. Do this before it gets too cold so you can open up the windows when doing it.
- Make sure the attic is properly insulated. This ensures that heat stays in your living space and prevents a warm roof that leads to ice dams.
How Can Ice Dams Damage Your Home?
The above demonstrates how ice dams form and how they allow water into your home.
Ice dams form when the warmth of your roof causes snow to melt, refreeze, and forms a large block of ice at the edge of your roof. This cycle continues until the ice dam melts away in warmer weather - but we wouldn’t recommend waiting for that. Ice dams can cause major damage to your home when they aren’t prevented or removed.
How Ice Dams Cause Damage To Your Home
- Roof Damage - The weight of a mass of ice on your roof can be enough to cause it to slag or slope over time. This may be especially true if your home experiences ice dams every winter.
- Roof Leaks - As snow melts, it makes its way between the shingles of your roof and then refreezes and expands. This causes the shingles to lift and loosen. This exposes the roof felt of your home and allows water to freely flow into the interior of the roof and into the attic.
- Ceiling Water Damage - As roof leaks become worse over time from your ice dams, water will eventually make its way through the floor of your attic and through the ceiling of your living space. This may be gradual, with you only noticing when the water leak has begun to produce water stains or spots on ceilings.
- Bubbling or Peeling Paint - Water seeping down through the walls from the attic can cause paint to bubble or peel. This is usually a major indication of a water leak somewhere in your home.
- Buckling Ceilings or Floors - As water penetrates your home, it may compromise its structural integrity. When moisture reaches the subfloors in your home, it causes them to buckle, sag, or sink as the water causes the building materials to soften.
- Warped Walls - When drywall or sheetrock absorbs moisture from a water leak, walls may begin to visible bend or buckle. When pressing on the affected walls, they may feel soft, spongey, or bendy.
- Mold Growth - Excessive moisture creates the perfect breeding ground for mold in your home. Constant or unaddressed leaks from ice dams provide the environment mold needs to grow.
How Do You Get Rid of Ice Dams?
There are many DIY recommendations for removing ice dams across the web - but we wouldn’t recommend most of them. Many of these tactics can damage your roof even further or are not safe to do yourself (such as getting up on an icy roof and picking the ice off). So what should you do?
Look for a professional for proper ice dam removal.
When you use a company that specializes in removing ice dams, you can expect them to get the job done without doing any damage to your roof or even getting on it. Most of these companies use steam machines that are high temperature and low pressure to melt ice off your roof without impact. This will help save your shingles and ensure no roof leaks.
What Happens If Your Neighbor’s Tree Falls On Your House?
Fallen trees can cause a headache - from figuring out who's responsible for the damages to repairing your home.
If you’re ever in the unfortunate situation of having your neighbor’s tree fall on your house, you may not be sure who is responsible to cover the damages. Who files an insurance claim? Who would pay? Here, we will run through the different scenarios of what happens if a tree falls on your house or your neighbor’s.
Who Covers the Damages From A Fallen Tree?
Scenario 1: Neighbor's tree (or your own) falls on your house
When a tree falls on your home, regardless of where it came from, you are responsible for filing an insurance claim or paying for any tree removal. The only thing that matters when dealing with the damage from a fallen tree is where it fell and why.
Scenario 2: Your tree falls on your neighbor's house
If a tree on your property falls on to your neighbors home, you can consider yourself 'lucky' because it will be up to your neighbor's homeowner insurance to cover the damages, just as if their tree came down on to your home.
Scenario 3: A neighbor's tree damages your house, but you suspect it was because it was old, damaged, or weak.
In these cases, insurance does not want to cover any damages or tree removal because there was a form of negligence or a maintenance related issue. If you feel like your neighbor has a tree that could damage your home, take steps to try and get them to remove the tree and document it. Then, if the dying tree does fall on your home, you can try and argue to have it covered by insurance due to your neighbors negligence.
Fallen trees are commonly only covered when caused by a 'named peril', such as high winds, lightning, vandalism, or a car crash.
What if the tree doesn't damage your home?
According to Allstate, if a tree falls on your house and causes no damages, insurance will not cover the cost of removing the tree (and in these cases it may not be worth it to file the claim anyways depending on your deductible).
What does tree removal cost without insurance?
The cost of tree removal is on average $500-$1,200, making it less than many homeowner's deductibles. If the tree that fell (and didn't damage your home) was your neighbors, you can always try and seek reimbursement afterwards, though this may put a strain your neighborly relationship.
How much do fallen tree insurance claims usually cost?
According to Consumer Reports, the average amount paid by insurance companies for fallen tree claims was $4,110, and was only 7 percent of all settled claims.
What if a neighbor's tree just falls in my yard, not even on my house?
As mentioned earlier, when a tree falls and causes no damages it will not be covered by your homeowner's policy. You will be responsible for all debris cleanup and removal yourself.
Need Help With Fallen Tree Damage & Cleanup? Call SERVPRO - 860-443-2222
COVID-19 Defensive Cleaning & Sanitizing Services
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned - A Defensive Cleaning Program
Let us help you get back to business.
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a FREE Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of New London today at 860-443-2222 for your Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.