What Are The Causes of Water Damage?
Take these tips to lessen the chance of water damage in your home.
What are the causes of water damage?
Water damage comes in many shapes and sizes; some that are easy to identify and others that are not. Knowing the common causes of water damage can help prevent damage to your home. The earlier you can identify water damage, the less work will have to be done by a water damage restoration company to restore your home.
Causes of Water Damage Include:
Leaking or Burst Pipes
Leaking or burst pipes are common causes of water damage. These issues can come from changes in water pressure, temperature changes, or the deterioration of old pipes. In the winter, uninsulated pipes can also freeze and burst.
These kind of water damage issues can be hard to detect until there is clear water damage on your walls or ceilings since pipes and hoses are usually hidden within walls. Keep an eye out on your water bill and periodically check for leaks under sinks, toilets, and around showers to find possible plumbing issues that can cause water damage.
Old or Worn Household Appliances
Did you know the average washing machine supply hose fails after just 8.7 years, and 75% of water heaters fail within 12 years? The hoses on these appliances should be changed when you can see any sort of wear to prevent them cracking and leaking everywhere in your home. Look out for all of your other appliances which have water hookups as well, like refrigerators with ice makers.
HVAC units are also a common cause of water damage. When not maintained, moisture can build up creating not only water damage, but space for mold and mildew to grow and spread around your home.
Clogs in drain lines or heavy rains can cause sewage to backup into your home through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. This type of water damage should absolutely be handled by water damage specialists to correctly decontaminate, sanitize, and restore rooms affected by sewage water.
Now that you know several major causes of water damage in home and businesses, you can prevent unmitigated damages to your home. But, if disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of New London with any water damage issues.
We’re open 24/7 and waiting for your call. 800-734-3213
Fire Damage Restoration Process in New London
Call SERVPRO of New London with any fire damage restoration needs.
A fire event can be devastating for a home or business. Even after the flames are out, you may be overwhelmed by the damages. The fire may have compromised the structure of your building, soot and smoke damage can cover your walls and furniture, and you may even face water damage from the fire-fighting efforts.
So, where do you start once the flames are out? Well, the answer isn't always straightforward as every fire damage event is a little different and requires a unique solution. But, the general process remains the same. The steps below outline our process for the 'typical' fire damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us respond immediately with the appropriate equipment and resources.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
We use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We’re also trained to remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Call SERVPRO of New London to restore your property back to pre-fire condition. We're open 24/7, 365 days a year to respond to your call.
SERVPRO of New London's First Annual Coat Drive
In all, we were able to donate 13 boxes of coats to local shelters!
This year, SERVPRO of New London started its first annual coat drive for homeless shelters in our area!
On our very first year, we exceeded our monetary goal of $500 and we were able to collect over 80 coats. All together, using the monetary donations and the physical donations, we were able to donate 120 coats to local shelters in the Meriden and New Haven, Connecticut area! Donations ranged from children's coats to both men and women's jackets.
The contributions we received this year were absolutely amazing. Thank you to all of our generous donors for contributing to our first annual coat drive!'
If you missed out on donating - no worries! We will be sure to get the word out for our second annual coat drive next year. And remember - you can always call your local shelters to see if they will take your own personal donations!
Preparing Your New London Business for Winter Storm Damage
Use some of our tips to ensure your business quickly re-opens after any winter storm damage!
When winter weather hits, it can lead to property damage, employee injury, and possible business closures. Preparing your business before the storm is the best way to protect your property and minimize any storm damages.
If you take these steps, your business will be able to more quickly recover from a storm damage loss.
Steps To Take Before A Winter Storm:
- Establish shelter locations on your property. If a winter storm suddenly hits, you need a space with enough room for all employees and any customers that may be in your business.
- Stock shelter with emergency supplies. Flashlights, batteries, fire aid, food, blankets - you know the drill!
- Determine any essential equipment or processes that rely on electrical power. Organize an emergency power source for these items.
- Determine a back-up heating source if power goes out. Use heating sources in well-ventilated rooms to avoid carbon monoxide buildup.
- Install smoke and CO2 detectors. Test them monthly and replace batteries twice a year.
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment and assets for your business in case of a loss. Insurance will need this information!
If you find yourself facing storm or water damage after a winter storm, call SERVPRO of New London!
We are open 24/7, 365 days a year. We work with your insurance (so you don't have to!) and provide all customers with free estimates.
Call Today! 800-734-3213
Winter Storm Readiness in New London
Stay safe and prepared in New London this winter from storm damage.
Winter storms can cause just as much damage to your home as a summer storm. Snow storms can bring freezing temperatures, feet of snow and ice, and high winds. Power can go out and roads may become hazardous. Preparing for a storm is the best way to keep your family and home safe!
Winter Storm Preparations
- Weatherproof / Winterize your home.
- Add extra insulation in your attic, insulate doors & windows, and insulate any water lines along exterior walls so they are less likely to freeze.
- This also helps prevent ice dams!
- Keep as much heat as possible in your home during a storm.
- Avoid unnecessary opening of doors or windows, close off unneeded rooms, and close curtains on windows at night.
- You don't want your pipes to freeze and burst!
- Organize a back-up heating source if the power goes out.
- Gas or log fireplaces, portable heaters.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries handy. You never know when the power may go out - and flashlights are safer than candles!
- Leave all water taps slightly on so they drip continuously.
- This helps prevent frozen pipes or burst pipes.
Call SERVPRO of New London if your home sustains any storm damage this winter. We are available 24/7 for emergency services, and work with your insurance company!
What Is A Puff Back? How Can It Damage Your Home?
Puff backs can make soot come through your vents and into your New London home.
A puff back is a misfire in your furnace.
The issue is that a puff back can send soot throughout your home through your vents. If you wake up one morning and find soot coming out of your vents and covering your curtains, walls, and furniture – it’s likely that you’re experiencing the consequences of a furnace puff back.
Puff backs can also occur over time without you immediately noticing.
Every time your furnace ignites and misfires, it can send a small amount of soot through your vents which may slowly accumulate in your vents and around your home.
Puff backs can damage your home because:
1) The furnace is misfiring, and needs to be serviced
2) Your home may become covered in soot – and you are breathing it in as well!
If you experience a puff back this winter, call SERVPRO of New London to clean your home of all soot.
We are open 24/7 for emergency service!
Prevent Christmas Tree Fire Damage in Your New London Home
Stay safe from fire damage this holiday season with our Christmas tree safety tips!
It’s fun to decorate your home for the holidays, but holiday decorations like Christmas trees and lights can increase your risk for a home fire.
Did you know:
- More than one of every four home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.
- A heat source to close to a Christmas tree causes one in every four of holiday fires.
- Nearly half of all holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
To prevent fire damage in your home this holiday season, SERVPRO of New London recommends following these fire safety tips.
- If buying a real tree, choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched. This will lower the risk of fire due to a dry tree.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source: fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit. This is a fire hazard.
- Add water to the tree stand and be sure to add water daily. A dry, dying tree increases risk of fire.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
SERVPRO of New London hopes that you will follow these holiday fire safety tips to stay safe this season and prevent fire damage to your home!
Why Should I Use SERVPRO of New London?
Call SERVPRO of New London for any Fire, Water or Mold Damage Needs!
Why SERVPRO of New London?
- Each franchise is an individually owned and operated company.
- We have advanced expertise in numerous areas of mitigation and restoration services.
- Our technicians are highly trained, and attend continuing education classes to ensure they are up to date in the industry.
- We work directly with most insurance companies, and will guide you through the insurance process.
- We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Technicians at SERVPRO of New London will document every step of this process so you are confident that your home or office is in the right hands.
What does SERVPRO do?
- Residential & Commercial cleanup of:
- Water & flood damage
- Fire damage
- Storm damage
- Mold remediation
- Restoration services
SERVPRO of New London also performs these specialty cleaning services:
- Biohazard Cleanup
- Sewage Cleanup
- Drapes and Blinds Cleanings
- Odor Removal
- Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup
- Vandalism and Graffiti
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Ceilings, Floors, and Walls
- Carpet and Upholstery
Call SERVPRO of New London for any and all Remediation and Restoration needs.
Ice Dam Removal in New London, CT
This graphic shows how Ice Dams create water damage in your home.
What is an Ice Dam?
An Ice Dam forms when melted snow refreezes at roof edges and can form with even as little as 1 or 2 inches of snow.
Three things are needed for an ice dam to form:
- Heat to melt the snow
- Cold to refreeze melted snow into solid ice.
How Can Ice Dams Damage Your Home?
Ice Dams dislodge the shingles of your roof, and let water into your home. The under-layer of the ice dam continuously melts and re-freezes due to the warmth of your roof, resulting in water entering your home.
This leads to:
- Trapped moisture in ceilings, walls, and insulation
- Water-stained ceilings
- Peeling paint
- Mold and mildew growth
- Ruining gutters and making them sag.
Ice dam damages can create numerous other consequences, Altogether, the water damage from ice dams can affect the structure of your home.
What Should You Do?
To completely remove an ice dam without damaging your roof, it is likely best to call specialists like SERVPRO® of New London. We have specialized equipment to safely and easily remove ice dams.
It is also wise to address why the ice dam formed in the first place after removing it, so that it does not happen again. This may include better insulating your attic and roof, so that the warmth of your home doesn’t create conditions for an ice dam to form.
We’re available 24/7 for emergency service. Call us today.
Source: UMASS Amherst
Winter is Coming for New London!
For New London residents, winter is rapidly approaching. Once fall begins, the temperatures continue to drop very quickly. Drops in temperature bring all sorts of issues – especially for commercial property owners. Cold weather means burst pipes, snow melt related leaks, smoke or soot damage from puff-backs, and a number of other issues. Luckily, if you know to call SERVPRO of New London you don’t have to worry about these problems.
SERVPRO New London can be your commercial winter disaster go-to! We can help restore your property from any water, fire, mold, or sewage related disaster – and more! When the harsh New London winters bring commercial property damage, know who to call! SERVPRO of New London will be there for you, 24/7 – 365 days a year!