Flooded Basement Cleanup: Steps and Tips
Basement flooding is a nightmare for any homeowner. Water in your basement can damage carpets, couches, family heirlooms, appliances and more, leaving anyone overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. But don’t worry - we’ll cover everything you need to know about your flooded basement cleanup here!
What To Do When Your Basement Floods
- Don’t enter a flooded basement or crawlspace. You should put safety first and make sure that it is okay to enter. If there is standing water throughout the basement, you should turn off the electricity and gas. If your circuit breaker is in the basement or you’re not sure how to turn it off, call an electrician.
- Find protective gear to wear if you enter your basement. Find rain boots or gloves if you’ll be touching anything. This is important because depending on the source, flood water can be dirty or contaminated, making you sick. If the water is high enough, you may also want to consider wearing chest waders. But if your basement has this much water in it, we wouldn’t recommend handling the cleanup or entering yourself. Rather, call a professional flooded basement cleanup company like SERVPRO of New London who have the resources and knowledge to handle the situation safely.
- Find the source of flooding. Once you find the source of the water, you’ll have a better idea on what to do next. If the flooding is due to heavy rains, wait until the storm passes and water stops entering your home. If the water is from a source like a burst pipe, sewer backup, broken water heater or furnace, or any other faulty appliance, turn off your water immediately to prevent further flooding.
- Have a sump pump or basement floor drain? Try and check them out. Both of these things can help drain standing water in your basement if they’re working. If they’re not, they may be contributing to your flooding problem. Double check if they’re clogged or broken and do your best to get them to work.
- Start the water removal process. For puddles or flooding in a small area of your basement, you can use a wet dry vacuum, towels, or even a mop and bucket. If the entire basement is flooding with more than a few inches of standing water, you should call a professional flood removal company instead. SERVPRO of New London specializes in flood extraction and removal. Our advanced equipment can rapidly extract all water from your basement - and time is an important factor in preventing mold and mildew growth during flooding.
- Begin drying EVERYTHING out as best as you can. Remove all wet and water damaged items so that they can dry out faster. Set up fans and dehumidifiers in your basement to dry out and remove as much moisture as possible. If there was a lot of standing water, especially for an extended amount of time, your household fans and dehumidifiers may not work. If you need help drying out a flooded basement, SERVPRO of New London can help. We use moisture meters to detect and measure moisture and use advanced drying equipment to ensure no moisture is left behind.
- Clean and sanitize everything. Wipe down basement walls and floors. The flood water may leave behind dirt, gunk, or worse depending on the source. This step will also help prevent any unwanted odors, mold, or mildew.
- Take steps to prevent future basement flooding. You don’t want to end up with inches of standing water in your basement again! But if your basement is naturally prone to being wet or minor flooding, you should take steps to raise all appliances on to blocks so that they are not affected by water.
What Causes Basement Flooding?
There’s many different reasons for flooded or wet basements, but here’s a few:
- Insufficient drainage around basement walls
- Heavy rains
- Failing sump pump
- Clogged or backed-up floor drains
- Groundwater coming through cracks in the foundation
- Burst pipes
- Appliances with broken water lines
There are solutions to many of these problems, such as fixing broken pipes or appliances, changing where water runs off from your home, or waterproofing your basement.
Should I Call A Professional To Help With Flooded Basement Cleanup?
A professional flooded basement cleanup company may not always be needed to remove water and dry out a basement. But, if the entire basement is flooded with a few inches of water, we would strongly recommend calling in professionals. SERVPRO of New London specializes in water damage restoration, and we have all the knowledge and resources needed to rapidly extract water, dry, and sanitize your basement.
A fast response and work time is extremely important when it comes to flooding and water damage, as mold and mildew can grow and spread around a home in as little as 48 hours after flooding. Calling professionals will help prevent mold growth, unwanted odors, and structural decay down the line!
SERVPRO of New London provides all customers:
- 24/7/365 Rapid emergency service
- Free evaluations
- Free estimates
- Direct insurance billing & guidance through the insurance process.